Peer Learning Group: Substance Use Disorder Services
Beginning in October 2019, the FPNTC will host an online Peer Learning Group (PLG) focused on providing substance use disorder (SUD) services in Title X settings. The PLG will be co-facilitated by the FPNTC, the Region III Addiction Technology Transfer Center (ATTC), and a Title X subrecipient currently providing SUD services to family planning clients. Monthly online sessions will feature brief presentations on key topics (see schedule below), and discussions about common challenges related to providing SUD services and strategies to address them.
This PLG is recommended for grantees who are wanting to learn more about SUD services to support their network of subrecipients and service sites in implementing SUD services. Subrecipients and/or service sites who are at any stage of implementing SUD services and oversee service delivery are encouraged to participate.
By the end of the PLG participants will be able to:
- Use SUD data to determine what SUD services are needed among their family planning clients.
- Start to implement SUD services (i.e. train staff on screening and other topics, establish referrals with behavioral health providers, modify workflow processes to implement screening, modify EHRs to capture screening, etc.).
- Identify immediate and ongoing staff training needs to provide SUD services in a family planning visit.
To register for the PLG, grantees must commit to participating in all five sessions (listed below) in partnership with at least one representative from a subrecipient or service site in their network that is interested in providing SUD services. Names of both the grantee and subrecipient/service site participants are required.
Schedule of Peer Learning Group Sessions:
- Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 3 - 4:30 pm ET: PLG Overview and Assessing Need for SUD Services. This session will provide an overview of the PLG, and address ways to determine the need for SUD services in your community/patient population, and assess readiness to provide SUD services.
- Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 3 - 4:30 pm ET: Screening for SUD in a Family Planning Visit. This session will focus on who to screen and the use of validated screening tools for SUDs.
- Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 3 - 4:30 pm ET: Training Staff and Evaluating SUD Services. This session will focus on staff training resources and evaluating the effectiveness of SUD services in Title X settings.
- Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 3 - 4:30 pm ET: Integrating SUD Services into Clinic Workflow. This session will focus on integrating screening and brief intervention into a family planning visit as well as billing and reimbursement for SUD services.
- Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 3 - 4:30 pm ET: Ensuring Effective Referrals and/or Providing Treatment. This session will focus on effective practices for referring family planning clients to treatment and resources to address treatment gaps.
Registration deadline: September 23, 2019.
Registrations must be submitted by a Title X grantee in partnership with at least one representative from a subrecipient or service site. To optimize the peer learning experience, the FPNTC will accept 10 teams. The FPNTC staff will notify all registrants by October 4, 2019.
Grantees: Please review the registration questions in collaboration with the subrecipient/service site representative prior to completing registration.